The _LOADFONT function returns a font handle for a TrueType font (.TTF).
- handle& = _LOADFONT (ttf_filename$, height[, "BOLD|, ITALIC|, UNDERLINE|, DONTBLEND|, MONOSPACE"])
- The assigned font_handle variable return value designates the font to use. A return of -1 indicates a font loading failure.
- Multiple fonts will require multiple font variables unless used and freed consecutively.
- TTF_filename$ is the filename of truetype fonts only. Can include the path to the font file. Best to include with program.
- Windows users should find TTF font files in the C:\WINDOWS\FONTS folder. Use the font properties to see the real filename.
- Height is the height of the font. Font sizes can be found using the _FONTHEIGHT and _FONTWIDTH functions.
- Style parameter(s) used, if any, are literal(in quotes) or variable text parameters. Monospace has limited font selections.
- You can pass different font styles using different predefined STRING variable lists. You can include an empty style string!
- Font handles with values greater than 0 and are no longer needed should be freed using _FREEFONT.
- Font handle values of -1 (load failure) do not need to be freed! An error will occur if you try to free invalid handles!
- Check that the font values are greater than 0 before using them or illegal function errors may occur!
Example 1: You need to know that if you are in a text mode (such as SCREEN 0 - the default) then you will only be able to use mono-spaced (fixed width) fonts.
Note: 30 means each row of text (including vertical spacing) will be exactly 30 pixels high. This may make some program screens larger. If you don't want a style listed just use style$ = "" if using a STRING variable for different calls.
Example 2: In a 32-bit graphics mode you can alpha blend onto the background:
- Note: You can load a fixed width font file without using the "monospace" option and it will be treated as variable width. This can be useful because LOCATE treats the horizontal position as an offset in pixels for variable width fonts.
QB64 Font SUBs and Functions:
- SUB _FREEFONT font_handle
- SUB _FONT font_handle[,image_handle]
- FUNC _FONT (function) font_handle = _FONT[(image_handle)]
- SUB _PRINTSTRING (x,y), text_to_print$[,image_handle]
- FUNC _PRINTWIDTH width_in_pixels = _PRINTWIDTH(text_to_print$[,image_handle])
- SUB _PRINTMODE _FILLBACKGROUND/_KEEPBACKGROUND/_ONLYBACKGROUND[,image_handle]
- FUNC _PRINTMODE (function) 1 keepbackground/2 onlybackground/3 fillbackground =_PRINTMODE[(image_handle)]
- FUNC _FONTHEIGHT character_height_in_pixels = _FONTHEIGHT[(font_handle)]
- FUNC _FONTWIDTH character_width_in_pixels = _FONTWIDTH[(font_handle)]